Thursday, July 1, 2010

Get Him to the Greek - into the ROOTS


Since seeing Get Him to the Greek a week or so ago, I had been riding the fence on wither I liked the movie or didn't like it. Mostly what I liked about the film was Russel Brand and his particular style of delivering lines and his overall demeanor. The problems I had with the movie were that it seemed to be another ball out of the Apatow park, all the same troupes and trivial scenes you expect from an Apatow production (Yes, I am acutely aware that he didn't direct this one, but he is a clear influence and the producer.) I believe it's safe to say that overall Tim and I had the same sort of feeling coming out of the screenings, maybe a little disagreement here and there, but) so be it.

Now this isn't meant to be a proper review of any sorts of the flick, it's more about the turn-around I have done since last week. A scant few days ago I began reading a book titled My Booky Wook (apologies made within the book for the title) And I got a very different opinion of the movie afterwords.


Above: Paperback and Hardcover


What you get when you start reading this book is a grandly woven tale of molestation, drug abuse, rampant sex antics, and pseudo-celebrity fit-throwing Russel Brand bizarre behavior. If you choose to go on the ride the book beckons you to, you quickly realize that Get Him to the Greek is strangely autobiographical, and has got to be one of the only roles Brand has played where he doesn't play a character, but rather a version of himself from the past. For several years now Brand has been clean of both drugs and sex (only from an addictive point of view, in the case of the latter) but in his past he was exactly as his character Aldus Snow is in the film.

If you have yet to see the film but wish to, or have seen it already, or if you have no intention of seeing it for whatever reason, I suggest you read this book. It will give you a much further insight to the film's construction and will leave you more than a little confused as to how Nicholas Stoller got the only writing credit on the flick, while it's clear the majority of it was based on Brand's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment